Ideas and suggestions for window treatments, slipcovers, nursery decor and bedding...and other thoughts and inspirations for your home and garden...

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Ode to a Very Interesting Lady


So there is much hype out there now about down-sizing, simplifying, cleaning out, organizing...and, I agree, there comes a time when we all just completely run out of space. It is truly so easy to accumulate things (especially if you tend to have any interest in the arts). I know only too well that after living in the same house since 1979 and raising three wonderful children, you are bound to have tons of clutter. But, if you have any life at all, why, oh why, would you or how could you, possibly find the extra time necessary to de-clutter your closets or drawers. What with ball practice, piano lessons, school, ball games, science projects, church, choir practice, meal preparation (sometimes), and work (including late night painting and sewing projects)---who has the time to clean out drawers??? Not me...at least, not right now....especially not right now with new baby grandson...I already feel there is not enough time to spread around to my family. I have a grandmother and an aunt who have recently moved into assisted living spaces....both whom I would love to visit-but there is no time between work and responsibilities. I think I haven't visited my parents in over a month...and, then there is Allie in St. Louis (Happy Birthday Allie!!! We love You!) Now, that is a trip--a very long trip to St. Louis.
Anyway, back to the matter at hand...clutter...and, what to do about it.
I have a dear friend who helped me see through all the worry of "too much stuff." We met at her house to discuss a project, and as we carefully entered her garage (you would not have believed it!), I realized it was not just me. We literally had to weave through the tables, chairs, armoires, fabric, old clothes,...to get to her door-and guess what she said? "Excuse all the stuff, but I see art projects in all of this." I felt as if I had met someone with a kindred spirit of sorts. Because I could see the art projects, too....the pieces of furniture were beautiful, but had missing parts or were damaged in some way. But, she knew that the repair and, or re-do would result in something much more beautiful. It was so obvious-only artistic people could understand!! And, from that point on, I decided that I was truly artistic-maybe a little different, but artistic, none-the-less.
I still have an "almost nervous breakdown" when a client wants to come to my house-you see, right now, I live in my workshop...and I work in my home. Bobby is trying to remedy that for us...and I believe, all in good time, he will. I want to have a separate space for all my "art projects" so I can have family get-togethers in my home. That is my "dream life". But even then, please don't look in my drawers or closets-unless you, too, can understand my potential "art projects".
To me, this photo showcases a lady whose life was full and busy and interesting and happy....it symbolizes a complete life-maybe a bit messy, but interesting. And, whose life isn't a bit messy now and then...

No comments:

Post a Comment